This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we’ll get a small commission which will help keep the site running. Thanks!
6 Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs
Many of us have pets at home and consider them part of our family. We have two dogs that are part of our family` so we wanted to share how we help them ease some of their ailments. To share some background information with you, we took our oldest dog, Tebow (a Boxer) to the veterinarian and they diagnosed him with severe osteoarthritis. We tried anti-inflammatory drugs, per the doctor’s recommendation, but none were helping him to the degree he needed, so we opted for CBD oil instead.
I have a lot of success with CBD oil use by patients in my clinic, so we decided to use the dog version for Tebow (King Kanine) and it has improved his quality of life tremendously! He is running again and playing with his younger brother, Duke (a Labrador Retriever). We also use it for them during other specific times of year- keep reading!
I wanted to share some additional information about CBD oil in case you are still not sure of its efficacy or role in family health. Cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD oil, is a type of non-psychoactive compound of cannabinoid which is extracted from a hemp plant. Hemp is a variety of cannabis plant. The benefits of CBD oil for dogs are immense and a supplement our family uses to help our family dogs- a Labrador Retriever (mix) and Boxer.
According to a survey carried out, around 77.6% of dog owners prefer products based on hemp plants for the treatment of diseases that most commonly include arthritis, seizure, cancer, and anxiety.
Dogs can benefit from the use of CBD oil. Here are some examples of conditions in which they’d benefit greatly:
- Anxiety: A sense of fear, as well as worry, could affect the overall performance and activity level in dogs. Anxiety can also result in disturbed sleeping patterns and depression if not treated properly. CBD oil boosts the level of dopamine which results in relieving a0nxiety . Thus, elevating the mood of dogs and also improving sleep conditions.
- Relieves Joint Pain and Arthritis: CBD binds to the adenine, serotonin, and vanilloid receptors and activates them. This causes a reduction in pain as well as inflammation. According to a study conducted, osteoarthritic dogs showed a decrease in pain and an increase in activity after the consumption of CBD with concentration 8mg/kg .
- Anti-Cancer Properties: CBD oil proves to be an anti-cancer agent. CBD blocks GPR55 signaling. GPR55 is a receptor protein that aids the proliferation and reproduction of a variety of cancer cells .
- Aids in Digestion: CBRs consists of protein-coupled receptors that predominate enteric and central neuron (CB1R) cells. Manipulation of CB1R through these receptors could affect the external control of the gut system or the control of the digestive system with the help of the enteric nervous system .
- Controls Seizures and Epilepsy: Epilepsy is a disorder that affects the nervous system of its patients. It can be hereditary or it can be caused by liver disease, kidney failure, a brain tumor, etc. However, CBD oil may help in controlling the symptoms of seizures. According to a trial, 5 kg/mg of dosage were given to a number of pet dogs that were affected by seizures. The results were quite satisfactory. Noticeable changes in the dogs’ behaviors were observed by the pet owners. .
- Prevents Skin Allergies: Skin allergies are quite common in dogs as they are constantly exposed to a variety of allergens in their environment. Endo-cannabinoid system could prove to be beneficial for the treatment of inflammatory disorders such as allergic skin diseases in dogs .
Safety: Since CBD is derived from cannabis plants, many doubt its safety. However, it has been scientifically proven that CBD oil is not harmful to dogs or humans. This is due to the fact that hemp plants have around 0.3% of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THA) which is the main element in cannabis responsible for a euphoric high. A report suggests that CBD oil has no side effects on dogs .
Dosage should be given in less quantity initially and increased as necessary based on the condition of the dog. As a starter, generally 1 mg of CBD oil daily could prove to be the ideal dose depending on the dog’s ailment. . The effects of CBD oil can vary according to the breed of dog, but it has proven to be effective in most breeds and conditions.
CBD oil provides a number of benefits for dogs and it is a staple for our family’s dogs (Duke and Tebow). We use the King Kanine (King Kalm) brand and can recommend it based on our positive experience. We use it for our senior dog, Tebow, for his osteoarthritis. We also use it for both dogs during holidays such as New Year’s Eve and 4th of July when fireworks are commonly heard around the world. Our dogs get very anxious during these two nights because of the noise, so we give them a dose of CBD oil to ease their anxiety. It keeps them calm and allows them to get rest just like any other day!
- Gamble Lauri-Jo, Boesch Jordyn, “Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs”, Frontiers in Veterinary Science 2018.
- Sarah Rumple, “High Time for Cannabis Research”, Researchers Aim to Determine Efficacy and Safety of Cannabis in Dogs 2018.
- Hornby Pamela, Prouty Stephen, “Involvement of cannabinoid receptors in gut motility and visceral perception”, British Journal of Pharmacology 2004.
- L. Campora, V. Miragliotta, “Cannabinoid receptor type 1 and 2 expression in the skin of healthy dogs and dogs with atopic dermatitis”, PubMed 2012.
- Kogan Lori, Hellyar Peter, “Consumer’s Perception of Hemp Products for Animals”, Scientific Report 2017