Spring Activities for Healthy Active Kids
Spring is here, and with the new season comes new ways to spend time with the family. If you’re finding yourself all out of ideas as to how to encourage healthy, active kids, we’ve got you covered. We’ve drawn up a list of 20 healthy indoor and outdoor activities that you can do with your family this spring and five craft ideas to try during a rainy day!
Indoor Activities for Healthy Active Kids
Family Cooking: Work as a team to create dinner. Not only will family cooking increase bonding time, but it will also help teach your children about different ingredients and help them to make informed health decisions.
Make a Game of Chores: Who said spring cleaning has to be stressful? Make a list of all the chores that you’d like to complete around your home, and create a game for your family to achieve them. Maybe make a chore wheel that includes prizes for a job well done.
Make Smoothies: For children that may be too young to spend time helping cook a whole meal, try smoothies instead. Allow your kids to pick out the healthy ingredients to go into their very own smoothies. They’ll be excited to try their smoothie creations!
Go to the library: Along with physical exercise, we also need to flex our brain muscles. Libraries are a great place to spend time with the family, and they have material for everyone.
Play a Fitness Video Game: The Wii taught us that video games could be healthy! If your family still has one, wipe off the dust, and enjoy a fun and healthy family workout. With games such as Just Dance and Wii Fit, everyone is sure to have a good time.
Put Together a Scavenger Hunt: This is a great go-to for rainy days. Set up a scavenger hunt around your home and form into teams to find all the items.
Make a Bird Feeder: While creating your bird feeder, you can research the birds that are local to your area.
Puzzles: Put your thinking caps on! Grab a puzzle and let your imagination get to work.
Play Freeze: This game is sure to get everyone’s heart rate up, especially if you play with these rules. ( https://www.playworks.org/resource/game-of-the-week-dance-freeze/) Turn up your family’s favorite music and dance until the music stops! Don’t move once the judge yells freeze!
Learn a Dance: With platforms such as TikTok, family dancing has never been so popular. Learn a quick dance with your kids and make a video to keep you guys laughing for ages.
Outdoor Fun for Healthy Active Kids
Gardening: Spring is the perfect time to start a family garden. If you don’t already have one, you can include your children in this activity to give them a hands-on learning experience.
Take a Walk With the Dog: Our pups are part of the family too! Bring them for a walk around the neighborhood or park! Just one 30 minute walk with your dog can burn 100 calories!
Hide and Seek: Add in tag, and this is all the aerobics you’ll need for the day. This activity could be done both indoors and outdoors, just make sure you set some rules in place if playing inside.
Go to the Farmer’s Market: Spring will bring a bunch of seasonal fruits to your local farmer’s market. Teach your children about the many types and pick out some healthy snacks for everyone.
Ride Bikes: An excellent activity for the weekends. The whole family can spend time biking around the neighborhood or local park. Don’t forget to wear a helmet for safety reasons!
Yard Work: Get that garden ready! Engaging in light yard work such as weeding and lawn mowing can burn quite a bit of energy.
Go Camping: With spring in the air, the outdoors is finally warming up. Take advantage of the beautiful weather and go for a camping trip.
Play Hopscotch: Grab some chalk and take a trip down memory lane. This classic game will have the whole family happy.
Wash Your Car: One of the best ways to cool down once the weather starts heating up!
Head to the Park: The weather is finally nice enough to enjoy a day at the park again!
Rainy Day Crafts
April showers bring May flowers, and that means you’ll no doubt have a few rainy days ruin your plans for outdoor activities. Spend the day creating some of these crafts instead! They’re just as fun, and can all be done inside.
- Create Musical Instruments: Gather some everyday household items like rubber bands and old cardboard or tissue boxes. Follow these instructions, and you’ll soon have a little musician on your hands.
- 3. Play With These Jumping Origami Frogs: Once you fold a few of these, the fun begins. Follow these directions and create origami frogs that jump!
- 4. Design Your Pasta Jewelry: This is a great activity for parents looking to occupy children while cooking dinner. Use any extra noodles e to create fun jewelry. All you need is uncooked pasta, string, scissors, and if you’d like to get even more creative, some food dye to add color to your project.
- 5. Work on Paper Roll Animals: Super easy!! Take your old toilet paper rolls and put them to good use! Use markers, crayons, finger paint, or whatever you have on hand and decorate the rolls as your favorite animals. Soon, you’ll have a whole zoo.
- Make Your Own Rainy Day Artwork: Draw and color your rainbows in whatever way your heart desires. Once your family finishes coloring their rainbows, place the artwork out in the rain for a few minutes. Carefully bring your artwork inside to dry and watch as the colors begin to blend and create a unique art piece. See what supplies you need here.